I. COURSE DESCRIPTION
This introductory course is designed to start the beginning student on the road to achieving a basic proficiency in Biblical Hebrew. It will also lay the foundation for continuous study of the Hebrew Scriptures. The class will consist of intensive oral work, grammar, and composition and is designed for students with little to no previous knowledge of the language.
II. COURSE OBJECTIVES
As a result of the successful completion of this course, the students will have mastered the following objectives.
- 1) Reproduce sounds peculiar to the Hebrew language.
- 2) Read and write Hebrew script.
- 3) Participate in class by using and understanding the vocabulary in each unit.
- 4) Demonstrate oral comprehension through response to questions in class.
- 5) Recognize essential grammatical structures as they are presented in each unit through class participation and tests.
III. REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS AND MATERIALS
- 1) Simon, Ethelyn. The First Hebrew Primer. 3rd ed. EKS Publishing Co., 2005.
- 2) Index cards to write out own flashcards.
IV. EVALUATION PROCEDURES AND GRADING
Meeting once a week to learn another language is really not enough; it may be hard for students to retain the material learned from one week to the other. To try and overcome this potential problem, there will be weekly assignments and quizzes. Honestly, the best way for the student to retain course material is for the student to review it several times throughout the week. To make sure of student review, learning will be evaluated in the following ways:
- 1) Written assignments and weekly quizzes
- 2) Unit exams
- 3) A comprehensive final exam
V. COURSE INSTRUCTOR
Eleanor Miles holds a BA in Biblical Literature (Old Testament), with a minor degree in New Testament, from Oral Roberts University. She is currently working on a Master of Divinity in Messianic Judaism from the Feinberg program at Talbot School of Theology. She has taught biblical Hebrew for 8 years. She works with the ministry of Celebrate Messiah in Canberra, co-pastoring Hineh Yeshua Messianic Fellowship. You can learn more about Eleanor’s ministry with Hineh Yeshua here.